A Minute With The Owner: Staff Spotlight Edition – Rockilee Warren, President & Founder
A second act becomes an extraordinary life. What began as a fleeting idea, grew into a goal, then became a plan, and little by little is becoming the life always envisioned. This is the experience people have when they take a chance on themselves. In today’s Staff Spotlight we sit down with Rockilee Warren President & Founder of Maid in a Minute Residential and Commercial Cleaning Service, our very own HMIC (Head Maid In Charge), to discuss what it’s like to be living the life of her dreams.
We sat down with Rockilee to pick her brain on how she started Maid in a Minute Residential and Commercial Cleaning Service and what the goals for the future are.
- What led to the adventure to opening your own business? In the summer of 2000 I was settled into a routine not unlike most people; get up, go to office, come home, prepare dinner, clean up and go to bed to do it all over again the next day. I was not happy, just simply going through the motions. By this point, my children were out of the house and I even had a grandchild. I thought to myself, if I’m going to take a chance on myself NOW is the time to do it. Cleaning has always been something I enjoyed doing, so starting a cleaning service seemed like the natural choice. I resigned from my job and held my breath until I landed my first recurring customer.
- What was your initial goal for the business? Initially I just wanted to replace my corporate income. Then my goal was to have a full time employee. Currently my goal is to have at least 2 teams in Dade, Broward & Palm Beach Counties with fully booked schedules. We are working hard at that goal and almost there!
- What’s unique about your company? While we stay current on all of the latest cleaning processes and products, there’s something to be said about the old school methods. Our teams are trained to go the extra mile, deep cleaning is our specialty! Our recurring customers start with our signature deep clean and their monthly/biweekly/weekly cleaning ensures their home keeps that deep clean look month after month.
- Is there anything you would have done differently looking back now? Hindsight is always 20/20. If I had to choose one thing I would change it would be not to be so hands on in the respect of micro managing. Even though I had trained my teams to be the best, I spent much longer cleaning with them than I should have because each house/office was like my baby. As the business owner, I should have spent more time helping them fill their schedules in the beginning which is hard to do when you’re not actively getting the word out about how amazing they are.
- What does a day-in-the-life of Rockilee consist of? My days vary these days. First thing in the morning, I hand out team assignments for the day. Once everyone is headed to their jobs I respond to phone & email inquires and schedule in home estimates. Then I hit the road! I meet with perspective clients to provide quotes and I perform spot QA Inspections on the assignments of the day.
- What do you enjoy most about what you do? I love, love, love seeing the before and after photo! Knowing that we’ve given a client one less thing to worry about during their day makes my heart smile.
- What creative things do you do to develop a likeable company culture? I get to know each employee on a human level. They are not just employees, they are family! When I win, we all win, so I make sure I offer a living wage, benefits and incentives.
- To what do you attribute your success? Faith, patience and perseverance.
- What future plans do you have for the company? I want to expand Maid in a Minute throughout the entire state of Florida, therefore providing more job opportunities.
- If you had one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be? This is probably the easiest of all the questions. Don’t give up! There are going to be difficult times. The recent pandemic threw us for a loop, things seemed bleak for us just like everyone else. We stayed the course, had faith and came out the other side stronger than ever. So, if you love what you do and that passion shows, customers will come along with you for the ride.
We hope you enjoyed a little look behind the curtain in our first Staff Spotlight Edition. We’d like to thank Rockilee for taking the time to chat with us! If you need a few more MINUTES in your day, let us take care of the cleaning for you! Visit our ONLINE BOOKING page to schedule your appointment now! Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram & like us on Facebook!